Overvåking av tilstandsvariasjoner i stortareskog, og effekter av stortarehøsting langs Vestlandskysten. Ressursovervåking av stortare.
Kartlegging av makroalger, bl.a i Porsangen og Hardangerfjorden (ifm EPIGRAPH-prosjektet).
Naturtypekartlegging av tare, ålegras, og gyteområder for torsk.
Livssyklusstudier og kultivering av sukkertare.
Date of birth: March 1, 1966
Cand. mag. (biology) 1989, University of Oslo
Cand. scient. (marine botany) 1992, University of Oslo
Dr. scient (marine botany) 2003, University of Oslo, Thesis: “Development and competitive interactions in fucoid germlings (Fucales, Paeophyceae) - effects of nutrients, temperature, salinity, and settlement density”.
2004 – present Scientist, Institute of Martine Research, Flødevigen Marine Research Station.
1997 – 2003 Teacher on various biological courses during dr.scient period, Biological Institute, University of Oslo.
1995 – 1996 Ecotoxicological laboratory engineer, Miljølaboratoriet i Telemark.
1994 – 1995 Environment Protection Consultant, County Governor of Nordland.
1991 – 1993 Various species mapping projects for the Directorate for Nature Management.
Fields of research:
• Ecological and experimental studies on various macroalgal species.
• Monitoring condition of kelp forests and effects of kelp harvesting along the Norwegian coast, advisor for management authorities (Ministry of Fisheries and Coastal Affairs).
• Mapping of nature types, including kelp forests, eelgrass beds, cod spawning grounds, along the Norwegian coast.
• Various studies of coastal marine biology and ecology, including ecological effects of introduced marine species, marine windfarms, dredging, and shellsand extraction.
• Steen H. (2003). Apical hair formation and growth of Fucus evanescens and F. serratus (Phaeophyceae) germlings under various nutrient and temperature regimes. Phycologia 42: 26-30.
• Steen H. (2003). Intraspecific competition in Sargassum muticum (Phaeophyceae) germlings under various density, nutrient and temperature regimes. Botanica marina 46: 36-43.
• Steen H., Scrosati R. (2004). Intraspecific competition in Fucus serratus and F. evanescens (Phaeophyceae) germlings: effects of settlement density, nutrient concentration, and temperature. Marine Biology 144: 61-70.
• Steen H., Rueness J. (2004). Comparison of survival and growth in germlings of six fucoid species (Fucales, Phaeophyceae) at two different temperature and nutrient regimes. Sarsia 89: 175-183.
• Steen H. (2004). Effects of reduced salinity on reproduction and germling development in Sargassum muticum (Phaeophyceae, Fucales). European Journal of Phycology 39: 293-299.
• Steen H. (2004). Interspecific competition between Enteromorpha (Ulvales, Chlorophyceae) and Fucus (Fucales, Phaeophyceae) germlings: effects of nutrient concentration, temperature, and settlement density. Marine Ecology Progress Series 278: 89-101.
• Referee for various international marine biological journals, including Journal of Phycology, Oikos, Aquatic Ecology, Sarsia.