- Send samples of altv:.rork early, before submitting your script
- Permissions - if you have used tables, figures or large sections of text from other published sources, you will require permission from the original publisher. We can provide you with Blackwell Publishing permission request forms. Please ensure that this is obtained before you send us your script and please provide copies of all permissions with the script.
Please ensure that these are complete. Include:
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- Preface, Foreword, Dedication, Acknowledgements or Introduction where applicable.
Contributors (if applicable)
Please include a complete list of their names, affiliations, addresses, telephone numbers and email
- Please save each chapter separately as a Word document.
- Save artwork separately from the text. Please do not embed artwork in the text documents.
- Headings: please use a clear hierarchy of headings, so that it is obvious which sections of text are sub-sections of the main heading. Let us know the style of headings you have used. We advise using a maximum of 4 levels of heading, as more may become confusing for the reader.
- Lists: please use a consistent style, either bullet points or numbered lists (1), (2), etc.
Figures and tables
Please supply print-outs of all figures and tables. Supply figure captions as a separate list.
- Please number the figures and tables as follows: Fig. 1.1, Fig. 2.1, Table 1.1, etc., where the first number is the chapter number, the second number is the figure/table number.
- Please cite all figures, tables and boxes in the text, for example: 'Fig. 1.1 shows ... ' or '(see Table 1.1)'. Please do not write 'Place Fig. 1.1 here' - each item should be mentioned in the text.
- Number tables and figures separately.
- Number figures and tables in the order they are discussed in the text.
All references cited in the text need a full citation in the Reference list. Please use a consistent style for
references, especially important in multi-contlibutor books.
References should include the following information:
- Author or editor surname and initials (do not use et al. in the Reference list)
- Year of publication
- Title of the book, journal alticle or book chapter
- J oumal title, volume number and page extent of the article
- Publisher name and place of publication for books
- Page numbers if referencing a chapter within a book. Supply the chapter title, full name of the book from which the chapter is taken and the book's editor.
If you use a numbering scheme for references, assign numbers to the references according to the order in which they appear in the text, not alphabetically or by date order.
If you are using a name-date system, e.g. Smith (1990), the references should appear in date order in the text (Smith, 1988; Davies, 1995), and alphabetically in the reference list.
Please do not mix systems of references.
Please let us know if there are certain styles or layouts required. Make a note of any ambiguous
characters (e.g. zero versus slashed zero).
Sensitive data may require consent. For medical subject areas, informed consent must be obtained from patients for use of information or images from which patients may be identified. If in doubt please ask your commissioning editor. Please send us signed consent forms with your manuscript.
Please include copies of signed consent forms with your script.
Saving your script on disk
- Save in PC format. Please note we cannot use Mac-formatted disks.
- Save each chapter individually in Word, using the Chapter number for the file name
- Save figures separately from the text. Please do not embed them in the text files. Name the files by their figure number: 1.1,2.1, etc. so they are easy to identify
- Save figure captions separately
- We can use the following disk types: zip, floppy, CD