Gene expression pattern and level reflects to a significant extent the ongoing anatomical, morphological and physiological activities in a tissue and/or organsim. My field of interest is exploring global, epigenetic, local and spatial gene expression in preferentially salmon and cod, but also when needed in zebrafish.
-One theme is the development of the skeleton in fish in relation to both deformities and general homeostasis of the skeleton in differing environments (current, light temperature etc) and with formulated feeds. We have in several studies discovered plasticity in the salmon skeleton in relation to gene expression, protein content, mechanical properties and mineral content of the skeleton in the lifecycle of salmonides. In addition several molecular markers of the common compressed deformity has been discovered (This project was supported by NFR HAVBRUK 2006-2009 ” Skeletal malformations in farmed salmon and cod: a functional approach to determine causalities and mechanisms”)
-Another theme is the development of the notochord which serves as support during development and adult fish. Also it has in several studies been shown a link between notochord and the in the initiation of skeletal deformities. Currently I am working in a NFR FRIBIO project ” Deciphering embryonic segmentation, Genes that control the repeat pattern of the vertebral column.” 2011-2014. In this project we are exploring the notochords transcriptome (RNA seq) during critical phases of initial backbone formation.
-In addition I am currently involved in a EU project LIFECYCLE”, (http://www.lifecycle-fp7.eu/, 2010-2013). Where, I have a subproject which investigates stress in broodstock and the gene expressional response in the offspring. In this project we are exploring the main pool of transcripts in maternal in cod and also changes in the transcriptome upon stress.
-Another area of interest is functional genomics in cod and salmon with focus on the reproductive mechanisms in this species. The longterm aim is to utilize knockdown (KD) and knockout (KO) technologies in Atlantic salmon to be able to 1) explore molecular mechanisms related to the reproductive system, in particular germ cell specification and early sexual development, and 2) to produce germ cell free salmon by ablation of the primordial germ cells (PGCs). Both aims explore fields which can result in sterility models for aquaculture that could solve major bottlenecks related to un-wanted sexual maturation and genetic interactions with wild populations.
-Another way to avoid genetic interactions with wild salmon populations is to use sterile fish produced by triploidisation. I am since 2012 involved in a new NFR HAVBRUK project (2012-2015) where my workpackage explores the “Effect on genome and transcriptome in response to triploidisatonin Atlantic salmon”. Little studies have been made on genomic and transcriptomal effect of triploidisation on the genome. This workpackage aims at exploring how the organism copes with the additional sets of maternal chromosomes provided by triploidisation such as; allele usage and epigenetic mechanisms.
Anna Sofie Troedsson-Wargelius (MSc, PhD)
Senior scientist (1110), Institute of Marine Research
Civil status Married, three children (2, 6 and 9 years)*
1998-2001 PhD Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Bergen, Norway
1991-1996 Master in Biology, University of Uppsala, Sweden
PUBLICATIONS IN INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS
1. Kleppe L., Edvardsen RB, Kuhl H., Malde K., Furmanek T., Drivenes O., Reinhardt R., Taranger GL, Wargelius A. Maternal 3'UTRs: from egg to onset of zygotic transcription in Atlantic cod BMC Genomics 2012, 13:443 doi:10.1186/1471-2164-13-443 Published: 1 September 2012
2. Olsen R.E., Svardal A., Eide T. and Wargelius A. Stress and expression of cyclooxygenases (cox1, cox2a, cox2b) and intestinaleicosanoids, in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2012 Aug;38(4):951-62.
3. Fjelldal, P. G.; Hansen, T., Breck, O, Ornsrud, R.), Lock, E. -J.)3; Waagbo, R., Wargelius A., Witten, P. E. Vertebral deformities in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) - etiology and pathology. review JOURNAL OF APPLIED ICHTHYOLOGY Volume: 28 Issue: 3 Special Issue: SI Pages: 433-440 DOI: 10.1111/j.1439-0426.2012.01980.x Published: JUN 20124.
4. Gil-Martens L, Fjelldal PG, Lock EJ, Wargelius A, Wergeland H, Witten PE, Hansen, T Waagbø R, Ørnsrud R (2011), Dietary phosphorus does not reduce the risk for spinal deformities in a model of adjuvant-induced inflammation in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) post-smolts. AQUACULTURE NUTRITION, Volume: 18 Issue: 1 Pages: 12-20 2012
5. Fjelldal P.G., Lock E. J., Hansen T. J., Waagbø R., Wargelius A., Gil-Martens L., El-Mowafi A., Ørnsrud R. Continuous light induces bone resorption and affects vertebral morphology in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) fed a phosphorous deficient diet , AQUACULTURE NUTRITION, in press 2012
1. Sagstad A, Grotmol S, Kryvi H, Krossøy C, Totland GK, Malde K, Wang S, Hansen T, Wargelius A. Identification of vimentin- and elastin-like transcripts specifically expressed in developing notochord of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.).CELL TISSUE RES. 2011 Nov 5.
2. Grini A, Hansen T, Berg A, Wargelius A, Fjelldal PG. The effect of water temperature on vertebral deformities and vaccine-induced abdominal lesions in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L. J FISH DIS. 2011 Jul;34(7):531-46.3. 3. Totland G.K., Fjelldal P.G., Kryvi H., Løkka G., Wargelius A., Sagstad A.,Hansen T.,Grotmol S. Sustained swimming increases the mineral content and osteocyte density of salmon vertebral bone. JOURNAL OF ANATOMY, Volume: 219 (4) pp490-501, OCT 2011
1. Wargelius A., Fjelldal P.G., Nordgarden U., Grini A., Grotmol S., Totland G.K., Hansen T. A novel short isoform of Collagen type XI (alpha 1) may be involved in the structural plasticity of the vertebral column in Atlantic salmon (Salmo Salar L.). JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY, 2010 213:1207-16
2. Wargelius A., Fjelldal P.G., Grini A., Gil-Martens L., Kvamme B.O. and Hansen T. MMP-13 (Matrix MetalloProteinase 13) expression might be an indicator for increased ECM remodeling and early signs of vertebral compression in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L). JOURNAL OF APPLIED ICHTHYOLOGY, 2010 26(2): 366-371
3. Fjelldal, PG., Nordgarden, U., Wargelius, A., Taranger, GL., Waagbø, R., Olsen, RE. Effects of vegetable feed ingredients on bone health in Atlantic salmon. JOURNAL OF APPLIED ICHTHYOLOGY, 2010, 26(2):327-333
4. Gil Martens, L., Lock, E.J., Fjelldal, P.G., Wargelius, A., Araujo, P., Torstensen, B.E., Witten, P.E., Hansen, T., Waagbø, R. & Ørnsrud, R., Dietary fatty acids and inflammation in the vertebral column of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., smolts: A possible link to spinal deformities", J FISH DIS, 2010 33(12): 957-972.
1. Krossøy C., Waagbø R., Fjelldal P.G., Wargelius A., Lock E.J., Eide-Graff I., Ørnsrud R. Dietary menadione nicotinamide bisulphite (vitamin K3) does not affect growth or bone health in first feeding fry of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.), AQUACULTURE NUTRITION, 2009 15: 638-649
2. Wargelius A., Fjelldal P.G., Nordgarden U., Hansen T. Continuous light affects mineralization and delays osteoid incorporation in vertebral bone of Atlantic salmon (Salmo Salar L.), JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY 2009 212: 656-661.
3. Krossøy C., Ørnsrud R., Wargelius A. Differential gene expression of bgp and mgp in trabecular and compact bone of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) JOURNAL OF ANATOMY 2009, 215(6):663-72.
1. Stefansson S. O., Nilsen T. O., Ebbesson L.O.E., Wargelius A, Madsen S. S., Björnsson B. Th., McCormick S.D. Molecular mechanisms of continuous light inhibition of Atlantic salmon parr–smolt transformation. AQUACULTURE 2007 273: 235–245
2. Gotensparre SM, Andersson E, Wargelius A, Hansen T, Johnston IA. Insight into the complex genetic network of tetraploid (Salmo salar L.): Description of multiple novel Pax-7 Atlantic salmon splice variants. GENE 373: 8-15 MAY 24 2006
3. Nordgarden U, Fjelldal, PG, Bjornsson, Bjorn Thrandur , Wargelius A. Growth hormone and insulinlike growth factor-I act together and independently when regulating growth in vertebral and muscle tissue of Atlantic salmon postsmolts GENERAL AND COMPARATIVE ENDOCRINOLOGY 149 (3): 253-260 DEC 2006
4 .Wargelius A., Fjelldal P.G., Benedet S., Hansen T., Björnsson B. Th., and Nordgarden U. A peak in gh-receptor expression is associated with growth activation in Atlantic salmon vertebrae, while upregulation of igf-I receptor expression is related to increased bone density. GENERAL AND COMPARATIVE ENDOCRINOLOGY 142 (1-2): 163-168 MAY 15 2005
5. Wargelius A., Fjellda P.G., Hansen T. Heat-shock during early somitogenesis induces caudal vertebral column defects in Atlantic salmon (Salmo Salar). DEVELOPMENT GENES AND EVOLUTION, 215 (7): 350-357 JUL 2005
6. Fjelldal PG, Nordgarden U, Berg A, Grotmol S, Totland GK, Wargelius A, Hansen T Vertebrae of the trunk and tail display different growth rates in response to photoperiod in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., post-smolts AQUACULTURE 250 (1-2): 516-524 NOV 14 2005
1. Wargelius A, Ellingsen S, Fjose A. Double-stranded RNA induces specific developmental defects in zebrafish embryos. BIOCHEMICAL AND BIOPHYSICAL RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS 263 (1): 156-161 SEP 16 1999
2. Bolstad AI, Wargelius A, Nakken B, Haga HJ, Jonsson R Fas and Fas ligand gene polymorphisms in primary Sjogren's syndrome. JOURNAL OF RHEUMATOLOGY 27 10: 2397-2405 OCT 2000
3. Fjose A, Ellingsen S, Wargelius A, Seo HC. RNA interference: mechanisms and applications. BIOTECHNOLOGY ANNUAL REVIEW 2001 7: 31-57.
4. Wargelius A, PhD thesis “A study of Six3-like genes involved in zebrafish eye and forebrain development”, University of Bergen, June 21 2001.
5. Wargelius A, Seo HC, Austbo L, Fjose A Retinal expression of zebrafish six3.1 and its regulation by Pax6. BIOCHEMICAL AND BIOPHYSICAL RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS 309 (2): 475-481 SEP 19 2003
6. Ornsrud R, Wargelius A, Saele O, Pittman K, Waagbo R. Influence of egg vitamin A status and egg incubation temperature on subsequent development of the early vertebral column in Atlantic salmon fry. JOURNAL OF FISH BIOLOGY 64 (2): 399-417 FEB 2004
Ryggvirvler hos laks i saltvann: Styrke och mineralinnehold påvirkes av lysregime og veksthastighet. Fjelldal P.G., Wargelius A., Nordgarden U., Hansen T., Norsk Fiskeoppdrett, Dec 2004, side52-54.
Ryggradsutvikling og deformasjoner i ryggsøylen hos oppdrettsfisk Wargelius A, Fjelldal P.G., Nordgarden U., Berg A. og Hansen T., Havforskningsinstituttet Havbruksrapporten 2004
A white paper on genomics in European Aquaculture Research. Patrick Prunet, Antonio Figueras, Kristina Sundell, Deborah Power, Brendan McAndrew, Yann Guiguen, Georgious Kotulas, Niklolai Mugue, Pierrick Haffray, Frank Nilsen, Anna Wargelius and Geir Lasse Taranger, 2009
PhD Thesis Shailesh Narawane ” Exploring the role of cationic amino acid transporters in zebrafish organogenesis” University of Bergen 2011
Lene Kleppe Current supervisor for PhD candidate in the EU project “LIFECYCLE”, (http://www.lifecycle-fp7.eu/). 2010-2013
Shou Wang Current cosupervisor for PhD candidate in NFR FRIBIO project ” Deciphering embryonic segmentation, Genes that control the repeat pattern of the vertebral column.” 2011-2014
Christel Krossøy Cosupervisor for PhD thesis, “Vitamin K in farmed Atlantic salmon (Salmo Salar L.) with emphasis on bone.”, dissertation for the degree philosophiae doctor (PhD), University of Bergen, Norway 2009.
SELECTED ABSTRACTS (2007-2012)
Wargelius A., Drivenes Ø., Haugen T., Fjelldal P.G:, Andersson E., Svensvik H. Ø., Taranger G.L., Edvardsen R.B. Knockdown of salmon dead-end affect gonad morphology in 10 months old Atlantic salmon (Salmo Salar L.) 1st International Conference on Integrative Salmonid Biology (ICISB), Oslo, Norway, on June 17th – 20th, 2012, Oral presentation
Wang S., Furmanek T., Kryvi H., Grotmol S., Totland G.K., Krossøy C., Wargelius A. The Atlantic salmon (Salmo Salar L.) notochord displays a dynamic transcriptome prior to and during vertebral segmentation. 1st International Conference on Integrative Salmonid Biology (ICISB), Oslo, Norway, on June 17th – 20th, 2012, Oral presentation
Wargelius A., Edvardsen R.B., Haugen T., Ellingsen S., Andersson E., Malde K., Karlsen Ø., Fjelldal P.G., Taranger G.L., Drivenes Ø. Attempts to induce sterility in Atlantic salmon by morfolino and zink finger techniques. Sterility work shop, Solstrand Hotel and Spa, Os near Bergen, Norway, March 12-13 2012
Kleppe, L., Karlsen, Ø., Edvardsen, R.B., Drivenes, Ø., Natário, S., Norberg, B., Taranger, G.L., Thorsen, A., Kjesbu, O.S., Andersson, E., Wargelius, A. The link between broodstock stress and offspring developmental potential in Atlantic cod Gadus morhua L. 9th International Symposium on Reproductive Physiology of Fish, Cochin, India August 9 -14, 2011, Poster
Fjelldal PG, Lock EJ, Hansen T, Wargelius A, El-Mowafi A and Ørnsrud R. Extra dietary phosphorous prevents vertebral deformities in triploid Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) smolts, Interdisciplinary, Approaches in Fish Skeletal Biology, Portugal, April 26 – 28, 2011, Poster
Kleppe, L., Kuhl, H., Malde, K., Drivenes, Ø., Edvardsen, R.B., Taranger, G.L., Reinhardt, R., Wargelius, A. Composition of maternal RNAs, from egg to onset of zygotic transcription in Atlantic cod. Workshop Bioinformatics for young scientists, Ullensvang, Hardanger, Norway, March 16-18, 2011, Oral presentation.
Wargelius A., Drivenes Ø., Ellingsen S., Fjelldal P.G., Malde K., Krossøy C., Mittelholzer C., Karlsen Ø., Nilsen F.,, Hansen T., Taranger G.L., Edvardsen RB. Molecular /morphological tools available at Institute of Marine Research (IMR), Bergen, Workshop- The effects of oil and produced water on the health and development of fish. Bergen, Norway, Sep 21-23, 2009. Oral presentation.
Wargelius A, Fjelldal PG, Grini A, Gil‐Martens L, Kvamme B‐O, Hansen T, MMP‐13 (matrix metalloproteinase 13) may be a potential indicator of chronic inflammation in compressed vertebrae of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L). Workshop - Interdisciplinary Approaches in Fish Skeletal Biology, Tavira, Algarve, Southern Portugal, April 27 - 29, 2009, Oral presentation.
Sagstad A, Wargelius A, Kryvi H, Totland GK, Hansen T, Grotmol S. A screen of 1920 EST’s from a normalized notochord library in Atlantic salmon reveals genes which are uniquely expressed in the notochord during the development of the vertebral column. Workshop – Interdisciplinary Approaches in Fish Skeletal Biology, Tavira, Algarve, Southern Portugal, April 27 - 29, 2009. Poster.
Fjelldal PG, Hansen T, Wargelius A, Lock EJ, Waagbø R, Gil‐Martens L, Ørnsrud R Dietary phosphorus and day‐length affects the vitamin D metabolism and mineralization of the vertebrae in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) post‐smolt. Workshop – Interdisciplinary Approaches in Fish Skeletal Biology, Tavira, Algarve, Southern Portugal, April 27 - 29, 2009.Poster.
Fjelldal PG, Nordgarden U, Wargelius A, Taranger GL, Waagbø R, Olsen RE. Effects of vegetable fed ingredients on bone health in Atlantic salmon. Workshop - Interdisciplinary Approaches inFish Skeletal Biology, Tavira, Algarve, Southern Portugal, April 27 - 29, 2009. Poster.
Gil‐Martens L, Lock EJ, Fjelldal PG, Wargelius A, Araujo P, Torstensen BE, Witten PE, Hansen T, Waagbø R, Ørnsrud R. Dietary fatty acids and inflammation in the vertebral column of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) smolts: A possible link to spinal deformities. Workshop -Interdisciplinary Approaches in Fish Skeletal Biology, Tavira, Algarve, Southern Portugal, April 27 - 29, 2009. Oral presentation
Lock E‐J, Krossøy C, Waagbø R, Grotmol S, Nordvik K, Totland G, Kryvi H, Wargelius A, Fjelldal PG, Hansen T, Wendelaar Bonga S, Flik G, Ørnsrud R. Roles of lipid soluble vitamins in bone development and mineral metabolism. Workshop - Interdisciplinary Approaches in Fish Skeletal Biology, Tavira, Algarve, Southern Portugal, April 27 - 29, 2009. Poster.
Krossøy, C.; Waagbø. R.; Fjelldal, P.G.; Wargelius, A.; Lock, E-J.; Graff, I.E.; Ørnsrud, R. Dietary menadione nicotinamide bisulphite (vitamin K3) does not affect growth or bone health in first feeding fry of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) XIII-International symposium on Fish Nutrition and Feeding, Florianpolis, June 1-5 2008, Brazil, Poster
Gil Martens, L.; Lock, E. J.; Ørnsrud, R.; Fjelldal, P. G.; Wargelius, A.; Torstensen, B.; Witten, P. E.; Hansen, T.; Waagbø, R. Inflammation as a risk factor for spinal deformities in farmed Atlantic salmon underyearling smolts. XIII-International symposium on Fish Nutrition and Feeding, Florianpolis, June 1-5 2008, Brazil, Poster
*Norway offers a generous social system which provides one year maternity leave for each child. We therefore ask to take it in consideration that the candidate has three years of maternity leave in her last 8 years as a Scientist.