Gavin John Macaulay
- Ph.D. (Mech. Eng.), 1995, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- B. Eng. (Mech., 1st class Hons), 1991, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- 2010-present: Senior Scientist, Institute of Marine Research , Norway
- 1994-2009: Scientist, National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Ltd , New Zealand
Recent and current project involvement:
- AcoSize , 2016-2020. Direct acoustic sizing of pelagic fishes for improved catch selectivity. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council. Project leader.
- MESOPP , 2016-2019. Mesopelagic Southern Ocean Prey and Predators, Coordination and support funding by the European Commission.
- SEEBED , 2015-2017. Use of broadband techniques to see fish very close to the seabed. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council. Project leader.
- LoVe , 2015-2017. Lofoten-Vesterålen cabled observatory (http://love.statoil.com). An infrastructure development project funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- RedSlip , 2015-2017. Reducing slipping mortality in purse seines by understanding interactions and behaviour. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- CRISP , 2013-. Participation in pillar 1: Technology for fish detection, classification and capture process monitoring. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- DABGRAF , 2012-2014. Data acquisition, calculation and graphical presentation tools for size measurement of fish with broadband echosounders. Funded by the Norwegian Seafood Research Fund.
- WHOFISH , 2012-2014. Whale counting and fish school biomass appraisal by two new omni-directional fishery sonars. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
- WESTZOO , 2009-2012. Exploiting new wideband echo sounder technology for zooplankton characterisation, sizing and abundance estimation. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
Membership of societies and organisations:
- Member of the Acoustical Society of America.
- Member of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) Fisheries Acoustics, Science, and Technology (FAST) Working Group.
- Norwegian representative to the International Standards Organisation (ISO), Underwater acoustics sub-committee, working group on "Standard-target method of calibrating active sonars" (ISO/TC 43/SC 3).
- ICES liaison to the ISO Underwater acoustics subcommittee (ISO/TC 43).
- Kubilius, R. 2011-2014. Multi-frequency acoustic discrimination between gas bubble plumes and biological targets in the ocean. Ph.D. thesis, University of Bergen.
- Kubilius, R. 2016-2020. AcoSize: Direct acoustic sizing of pelagic fishes for improved catch selectivity.
Journal Reviews for: ICES Journal of Marine Science, Fisheries Research, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, PLoS ONE, Journal of Ichthyology, Deep Sea Research I, Makara Seri Teknologi, Limnology and Oceanography: Methods