Norway has over the last years provided support to a development project in Cuba entitled “Competence Building and Development of Mariculture”. The main project (2003-2005) was operated by Centro de Investigaciones Pesqueras, La Habana (CIP) and the Institute of Marine Research, Bergen (IMR). The final report from this project concluded that there was great interest in continuing the co-operation, regarded as being most successful. At present the outline of a new project is being established.
Links have been established between CIP and similar institutions in the region and in Europe, supporting Cuban research in an effort to develop marine aquaculture.
The previous project resulted in:
- Completion of 2 Master’s studies in Norway
- Technical/scientific study visits to experimental facilities in Norway
- Laboratory training related to genetics and fish health
- Several workshops in Cuba on fish farming
- Training schools
- Regional course
- Introductory experiments in Cuba on rearing of selected local fish species
- Up-grading of an experimental station close to Cienfuegos
- A comprehensive report on aquaculture in Cuba
- A rating of possible marine candidates for future aquaculture production